HomeForumsProfilesUser Control PanelKoS Groups

Go Back   Knights of Shadow > Tera > Tera Public Discussion

Old 02-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Uzial
SWTOR Guild Member

Animated Gear Tera Online Preist verses Mystic Questions

There seems to be alot of questions regarding the difference between these two classes, this is without a doubt the best post i have seen on the subject.

http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forum...mparison-Guide

There is a ton of information here. Good luck in your choices.

Here are some additional notes worth reading if you dont have the patience to grind through the entire forum.

Every New patch they blend the classes more.
Auto-Rez was unique to Mystic now its shared.
Shields were unique to Priest now its shared.
Eventually I think the lines will blur so much we won’t be able to tell them apart other than their weapons.

To understand this you must first know the background of this whole Priest vs Mystic saga in Tera KR and JP. Not too long ago Mystic was the preferred healer because Priest heals were overkill, while Mystics had the two useful auras which any party would love. Mystics were also preferred in PvP due to higher mobility and CC/debuffing ability.

All improvements to the Priest thus far has been in some way linked to bringing the Priest on par with the Mystic in terms of popularity in parties:

1) New Priest skill Restorative Burst (Reproduction Sanctuary リプロダクションサンクチュアリ) which finally gave Priest a usable HoT.

2) Increasing the backward movement of Fiery Escape from 7m to 10m to compare with Mystic's Teleport Jaunt.

3) Adding the Glyph of Rescue to Priest's Heal Thyself to improve survivability, since a Priest generally takes more damage than a Mystic would.

4) New Priest skill Feeble Prediction (フィーブルプレディクション) which is basically Mystic's Regression with added effects.

5) New Priest skill Backstep (Backwards Jump 後方跳躍) which gives Priest added mobility, because even the improved Fiery Escape could not compare to Teleport Jaunt.

6) Adding a glyph to Mana Charge that allows the skill to recover party members' MP, to compare with Mystic's Arun's Tears and Aura of the Tenacious.

And what do we have now?

7) New Priest auto-revive skill to compare with Mystic's Vow of Rebirth.

Mystics on the other hand has all along been nerfed somewhat:

1) Tripling the per 2s MP consumption of all the 4 auras, from 10MP to 30MP.

2) Nerfing Mire, such that the slow effect would be removed upon the target receiving a certain amount of damage.

3) Doubling the cooldown of Regression, from 30s to 60s.

4) Reducing the stun duration of Shara's Lash by half, and doubling its cooldown.

5) Reducing the heal amount of Titanic Favour.

6) Reducing the number of attacks made by Thrall of Wrath by half.

My take on this series of improvements to the Priest? Priest will just get better and better with Mystics being "just good enough" to the developers, as I have already highlighted in my guide. I will make no recommendation as to which class is more worth playing at the moment, since, as I have said before, I play both Priest and Mystic and love both classes equally.

Altariel

#7402/14/2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Altariel

2012-02-14 17:40:58 UTC

1) New Priest skill Restorative Burst (Reproduction Sanctuary リプロダクションサンクチュアリ) which finally gave Priest a usable HoT.

2) Increasing the backward movement of Fiery Escape from 7m to 10m to compare with Mystic's Teleport Jaunt.

3) Adding the Glyph of Rescue to Priest's Heal Thyself to improve survivability, since a Priest generally takes more damage than a Mystic would.

4) New Priest skill Feeble Prediction (フィーブルプレディクション) which is basically Mystic's Regression with added effects.

5) New Priest skill Backstep (Backwards Jump 後方跳躍) which gives Priest added mobility, because even the improved Fiery Escape could not compare to Teleport Jaunt.

6) Adding a glyph to Mana Charge that allows the skill to recover party members' MP, to compare with Mystic's Arun's Tears and Aura of the Tenacious.

Sorry one more:

7) New Priest skill Energy Stars (Secret Thunder シークレッドサンダー) which the developers have said themselves was intended to equalize the DPS boost given by a Priest and Mystic, most likely referring Mystic's Aura of the Merciless.

Altariel

#7502/14/2012, 10:07 AM

Note also that while Priests were given many new skills Mystics were given none, even after nerfing many of the Mystic skills.

(God I wish there was an edit button)

Delia

#7602/15/2012, 02:41 PM

In my experience with other MMOs that tried the "big heals vs buffs" tradeoff (namely FFXI) buffs almost always won out.

In FFXI, White Mages had bigger heals, and Red Mages had more buffs and debuffs, Red Mages also had mana restoration while White Mages did not. To me that draws fairly decent parallels to Priest vs Mystic, Mystic being the RDM in this comparison and Priest being the WHM.

In small groups (for xp grinding or smaller end game events) Red Mages were pretty much 100% preferred, as if you took a White Mage, you pretty much HAD to still take either a Red Mage or a Bard to fill provide the buffs and mana returns. When you asked "Can both of you keep the party alive" the answer from both classes was "Yes", and so the question then became "well then why would I need the WHM's bigger heals?" and the answer was "you don't".

TL;DR version.

I can totally see why the Mystic is the preferred healer in K-Tera, 'cause if both classes can keep a party alive, what's the point in having bigger heals?

Have Fun Uzial

Attached Images
File Type: png HealComparison.png (90.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg BuffComparison.jpg (208.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg SupportComparison.jpg (198.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png CCComparison.png (90.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png DodgeComparison.png (29.3 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Uzial; 02-20-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Uzial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Windwalk
Noob

Here is update regarding Priest verses Mystic and also other little tidbits all of this info is in the link Uzial put up I've just taken out some of the updated parts for easy reference none of this info is mines it's all copy and paste.

Updated main post with info relevant to game releasing with 60 cap, Updated charts and added FAQ section (FAQ seen below).
Also tried to prettify it lol. Misc errors fixed.

FAQ
1. How do both classes compare for Damage? Is either suitable for a "battle cleric" playstyle?
2. How do they compare for healing a party?
3. How does Heal Scaling from Gear alter the classes?
4. What skills don't Scale with Gear?
5. Why do I hear people say Priest for Lancer tanks and Mystic for Warrior tanks?
6. Which class does a better job at providing MP restoration?
7. Which class has the better survival?
8. What is the truth behind Mystic MP issues?
9. Is there any reason to have both classes in the same party?
10. How much does the STR buff boost party DPS?

Q: How do both classes compare for Damage? Is either suitable for a "battle cleric" playstyle?
A: Both Classes compete for the bottom for damage output being approx 15-20% of the damage of a true dps class, with glyphs at best bringing them up to 25% the damage of a DPS class. Priests have the advantage vs minions and normal mobs due to having the high burst attack shocking implosion in their arsenal. Mystic's have the advantage vs powerful enemies such as BAM's or Bosses due to their dot being a static value (ignoring defense) and castable both from range and on the run. Being in cloth it is not always feasible for priests to be in melee range where they have the advantage vs these types of targets. Priests also scale better with gear, the level of gear will alter the standing between the 2 classes.

Neither class is suitable for a "Battle Cleric" playstyle in PvP due to being in cloth and their main source of damage being melee skills. Your extra survival granted by Heals only matters as long as you avoid melee range. DPS will crush you in seconds if you go toe to toe with them since cloth offers little defense (can potentially be 1 shot) and very low balance (allowing for chain knock downs) and your damage will never be high enough to be a true threat.

Q: How do they compare for healing a party?
A: I think this question was best answered by Celaeris:
Quote: Celaeris on 03/29/2012, 10:30 AM

Priests have it easier, and it's easier healing harder content. Mystics will be preferred for farm content (as I'd prefer 4 dps + mystic, warriors with taunts are nice). Priests are much suited for hard content. You can decide how much of what content you'll be running. Also, ask any dps what kind of healers they see at 60 in KTera, and you'll notice that most healers are priest healers.

So will people pick equally skilled mystics over equally skilled priests for the highest of end game content? Sure, since it makes the run go faster, but I hope you have some awesome DPS that never pulls aggro and never gets hit by unnecessary AoEs. Even if you are that equally skilled priest, that's why there's dungeon finder, so you can wait 2.5 min for a queue. Queues are short enough that you can be kept busy running dungeons all evening if you want. Yes, the hardest of hard modes at 58 (Kelsaik hard) can be healed solo by a very well geared mystic with a very well geared group, but I can safely say that only the best of the best do that.

Q: How does Heal Scaling from Gear alter the classes?
A: The healing formula is along the lines of:
Base Heal*[(1+weapon recovery stat/1000)*(1+bonus recovery amount+targets bonus heal received)=Actual amount healed
But the bottom line is by Endgame you can expect your heals that are affected by heal boost to do roughly 6.25+ times their listed base heal amount.

Q: What skills don't Scale with Gear?
A: Damage over time skills, Shields, Pet's and Mystic Orbs do not scale with gear.

Q: Why do I hear people say Priest for Lancer tanks and Mystic for Warrior tanks?
A: Aside from the more obvious reason of Lancers being more stationary (easier to land heal circles on) and warriors tending to have an easier time garbing an orb while tanking both classes lend some extra advantages. For Priest's and Lancer pairing the extra endurance buff makes a very large boost to the damage reduction lancers experience. Lancer's only have 35 base endurance the 11 endurance buff (31% endurance buff) makes a HUGE difference in the damage they can take. Def = Total Def Modifier *( .5 + .01*End) + Basic Def. For a Mystic Warrior pairing the extra CC and interrupts that a Mystic can provide can be a big boost to warrior tanking ability by taking out the skills with long animations that warriors can't always completely avoid, not to mention crit buffed party with warrior tank really kills quick. While the synergy does exist it is not enough to say 1 will be preferred by 1 tank type over the other it's just a nifty bonus.

Q: Which class does a better job at providing MP restoration?
A: The quick answer is neither, there are pros and cons to both classes way of doing it.
Mystic: 20mp per sec to group (not counting the Caster) Passive
Orbs: 639 per 5 sec for 1 person, 127mp per sec for 1 person 32 mp per sec for group alternating
Priest: There are several variables based on priest glyph choices that will change the amount they give to the party, 25% glyph, 45% glyph, cast speed glyph and +15% MP given glyph.
Skill has a 5sec charge time and the 8sec cool starts at the end of the cast, numbers below assume the priest is devoting 40% (47% with cast speed buff) of the time to active MP regen for the group.
Min: 25% glyph: 800*.25=200 mp per 13sec = 13 mp per sec
Max: All Glyphs: 920*.45=414 mp per 11.75sec = 35 mp per sec
Normal: 45% glyph: 800*.45=360 mp per 13 sec = 27 mp per sec.

Both Classes actively working to provide MP the Mystic win's if the party is spam picking up orbs, mystic also gives 1 person far more MP. The Mystic aura is also a Passive and will always be supplied. In general however a Priest can "force" greater MP regen on the group by devoting their time to it as the party does not need to hunt for MP orbs. Because of the way the skills work Priest's tend to be better and providing tanks with MP where Mystic's are better at providing DPS (especially ranged dps) with mp.

Q: Which class has the better survival?
A: The quick answer again is that it's a wash. Priest's have an advantage in that their self heal scales far better and Guardian Sanctuary provides a hefty 30% damage reduction from ranged attacks. In general giving them better survival vs ranged classes in PvP. Mystic's on the other hand are much more mobile and have a large arsenal of CC to toss to keep enemies at bay. Due to this they tend to have better survival vs melee classes in PvP and are extremely hard to pin down once they get the retaliate glyph to reset their teleport cooldown on use. Both classes are vulnerable since they wear cloth armor and should always strive to avoid damage if at all possible rather then attempt to heal it off.

Q: What is the truth behind Mystic MP issues?
A: Mystic's start to require MP management skills once they acquire Titanic Wrath as keeping this buff up puts a decent strain on the MP bar, this only get's worse with levels as you add more to your job description with an extra aura to keep up cc's to toss (putting you in combat) etc. It also doesn't help that Orbs only net you 130mp per cast and mp aura doesn't provide you with any MP. But fear not there is a solution that is easy to miss! simply be sure to get the MP buff from the sanguine charms you toss into camp fires. By endgame this is a substantial amount of MP and can pretty much single-handedly solve your mp woes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLVJB9IL4t0
Quote: Gordi on 04/02/2012, 01:11 PM
Regarding the charms. I play a level 60 Mystic in Korea and they reg more then 300 Mana every 5sec (manapool about 6k). A friend of mine plays a slayer and he only gets about 150 Mana every 5 sec(manapool about 3k). So i would assume that the charms reg about 5% every 5 sec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4XzlKWH77M
here is a gameplay i made, here you can see what i just said. After 2:08 i enter the fight and the charms start ticking. At first you see how much Mana i loose later on i dont have any problems at all.
Its maybe not the best gameplay but i always have a good excuse: bad ping ;)

Q: Is there any reason to have both classes in the same party?
A: No, no and no. Both classes are 100% capable of solo healing all content in the game.
Kelsaik hard mode is the only dungeon you would ever even consider bringing 2 healers, and that is only until your healer is geared enough to do it on their own.

Q: How much does the STR buff boost party DPS?
A: The simple answer is it boost's party dps by ~16% (both classes give 25 str buff)
Also the STR buffs do not stack, they overwrite each other.
The long answer is: Damage formula before def:
Atk Dmg = Total Atk Dmg Modifier * (3 + 0.03*str) + Basic Attack
Total Atk Dmg Mod = Wpn + Rings + Ammy

Atk Dmg*skill damage=total damage

The actual gain will vary slightly by class/gear as the STR bonus is actually going into that formula to generate the DPS boost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Titanic Favor got ninja buffed, The HOT on Titanic Favor Does benefit from Heal boost. My guess is they did this because Mystic orbs at 60 have become pretty lackluster since they do not scale. Orbs healing 1.8k a tick when people have 60k HP just doesn't help much. The thing to remember is at 60 this is really Mystic's only option for keeping the party up, and as nice as the HoT now is our overall burst healing did not increase as the HoT gets over written when you cast the heal again, where the HoT from the orbs still stacks with the HoT from Favor.

Mystic lock-on is better right now, next time the level cap moves Mystic's wont be seeing an upgrade and Priests will though. Something to keep in mind.

The other thing to remember is in the same patch Priest's got a Massively powerful aoe heal they can use on the run that has a glyph for a 40% chance of no cooldown. They are still king's of healing by far.

Edit: I also would not say it is better then Focus Heal and Restorative Burst combined because while it may heal as much as those 2 combined there is utility in them being separate. Priest's are able to use Restorative burst as a means of generating less aggro while The Mystic's don't have that option. Also with the same gear restorative burst will tick off for more though its close.
I'm not sure if this was covered somewhere in the last 35 pages but which of the two healers has the fastest self and also group run speed?

Looking at the buffs and glyphs it would appear that it is priest but it depends on how the glyph bonuses are calculated. I'm guessing that the Priest glyph only increases the bonus run speed from 10 to 15, rather than 50% run speed overall?

Priest:
Skill: Boost the non-combat speed of you and your allies within 8m by 10 for 10 minutes.
Glyph: Increases speed by 50%.
Glyph: Increase movement speed by additional 35 (Caster Only).

Mystic:
Skill: An aura emanates within 20m of you, increasing group members' movement speed by 10%.
Glyph: Decreases MP consumption by 50.

The main reason I'm considering mystic over priest is the mobility but if priest has a considerably faster run speed I might change.

Mystic has the fastest in combat speed for the group.
Priest has the fastest out of combat speed for the group if glyphed (tie otherwise).

You are correct that the 50% glyph increases the bonus to 15 not 50% of the targets speed
Priest self speed Glyphed is actually a 15 increase (the 35 is a typo) and is the fastest for the healer themselves.

So priest buff with both glyphs comes to 15 out of combat speed for the group and 15 in combat speed for the caster.

The in combat speed between the two won't be noticeable as it's 4 diff (out of 110) assuming the priest is glyphed for it.

It should also be noted that after 50 the mystic will probably never have the run speed buff on as it competes with the crit rate buff for a slot.

Regarding the charms. I play a level 60 Mystic in Korea and they reg more then 300 Mana every 5sec (manapool about 6k). A friend of mine plays a slayer and he only gets about 150 Mana every 5 sec(manapool about 3k). So i would assume that the charms reg about 5% every 5 sec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4XzlKWH77M
here is a gameplay i made, here you can see what i just said. After 2:08 i enter the fight and the charms start ticking. At first you see how much Mana i loose later on i dont have any problems at all.
Its maybe not the best gameplay but i always have a good excuse: bad ping ;)

In Korea everybody uses these charms so you will never be without them. And after every death they will be recasted. So Mana Infusion is not really needed in PvE endgame.

To Siyuri: To drop Orbs is more Mana intensive then doing DPS look at the Numbers.

Hope my english isn't that bad ;) Greetings from Germany

I've played both Priest and Mystic to 38 as well as A LOT of research. Basically I have decided I will play Priest.

Reasons why:

1) Dropping Orbs ALL day is boooooring especially when one player will eat 3 red at a time. Same with every Sorc becoming SO lazy they will never cast Mana Infusion and want you to drop a blue orb beside them every time it's off CD, or eat 3 pre-prepared for melee.
2) Strength AOE Buff whilst fun at first to run in and out without being hit, gets old fast. Besides end-game the Priest's equivalent is better.
3) Teleport Jaunt is soooo buggy that more than 60% of the time that I use it, it sends me forward then back for EVERYONE to see, laugh at and end up hitting me as a result. No issues with Fiery Escape.
4) CC isn't as powerful from a Mystic in group PvP as people seem to think...

How will I play Priest in PvP and be more viable than a Mystic? I will counter everything a Mystic have, especially with regards to dispelling all their CCs, especially when their best CC is on a CD longer than what they will have to survive with my teammates' damage :)

I can't fix your 1 or 2 that's just part of the class, we get the short end on STR buff to gain 2x crit rate buff.

For 3 it is incredibly rare that I have been rubber-banded by Teleport Jaunt, I'm sorry to hear its gone wrong for you so often.

Quote: Nineteen on 04/02/2012, 10:34 PM - view

How will I play Priest in PvP and be more viable than a Mystic? I will counter everything a Mystic have, especially with regards to dispelling all their CCs, especially when their best CC is on a CD longer than what they will have to survive with my teammates' damage :)

38 Isn't high enough to see Mystic gain their Major CC advantage over Priests (Fear and aoe stun both 50+), and unless your hit by mire, any of the other cc's will prevent you from curing yourself or anyone else for that matter. All it takes is the mystic landing 1 shara's lash in group pvp (30sec cool) to cause your death in PvP, being in cloth you hold still DPS eat you the end.

An interesting note Priest and Archers are the only classes without a reliable way to dodge or block lock-on CC's due to their being no invincibility frames in their dodges. Your going to have a much harder time counting everything a mystic brings in PvP then I think you realize with the power CC skills and crit related buffs have in a PvP setting.

Really honestly truly, priest is pretty much better then mystic in every way until level 50+ when mystics suddenly pick up several major skills in short succession that define their class and give them a unique edge.

Quote: Siyuri on 04/01/2012, 12:00 PM - view
Thanks for explaining all of this, however the video isn't really supporting anything. I don't have a problem with my mana regeneration if I don't use titanic wrath - which this Mystic does not do. This Mystic does not apply DPS either, like I do. They stand there, cast a couple heals, drop a couple orbs... Obviously they wont have a mana problem, even without the charms.
Also, I don't want to say that my mana pool is fine so long as I use these special charms that aren't even in NA. It doesn't make sense.

/e just adding something after having a little more coffee as an after thought - I think that any class will have mana issues if they're flogging their character. I like to play my class using the entire skill-set given to me for any given situation. I will clearly have more mana issues than the Mystic in the video, and my only point is that Titanic Wrath is just too expensive, in my opinion - but too invaluable not to use. 16% DPS increase is important to any fight.

The point of the video was to show mana regen, since Karyudo wanted a specific number of how much mana it gives, it wasn't meant to show a video where a mystic kept up the strength buff was okay with mana. But it looks like Gordi showed that it gives more than 300 MP per second, compared to what I calculated based on the video. As a mystic, it will be hard to keep the strength buff up, especially if you try to get melee and casters at the same time, but with the range glyph and the duration one do help. In the video that I linked, they had priest buffs.

As for what you do, if you had time to do that, that's good, but I don't recall DPS causing much mana. And if you were having mana issues, you wouldn't be DPSing because you'd be using mana infusion. And if you were using that, you can't DPS.

The effect of those charms are in the NA version. But we only have access to the crappy ones, which may or may not give MP regen, so currently, they aren't reliable to use. However, in one month after Tera has been released, most end game groups will be using them.

I do agree that most classes are mana limited (sorcs and warriors come up the most, when looking to take mana orbs from me). I think mana that is limited is a good resource and encourages good choice among players to figure out how to do the best DPS. I think slayers and zerks have less of an issue, as long as they start with full mana, and archers don't seem to have enough burstly skills that cost a lot of mana. I personally don't think Titanic Wrath costs too, because you can glyph it so, the effective cost over time drops. But there is a balance of keeping it up 100% of the time, which can be quite hard to do on some hard mode bosses, since players tend to be all over the place. Also, I can't see that I can use Mana infusion in end game hard mode dungeons, since you get hit by incidental aoe's or stuns quite a bit.

Quote: Nineteen on 04/02/2012, 10:34 PM
I've played both Priest and Mystic to 38 as well as A LOT of research. Basically I have decided I will play Priest.

Reasons why:

1) Dropping Orbs ALL day is boooooring especially when one player will eat 3 red at a time. Same with every Sorc becoming SO lazy they will never cast Mana Infusion and want you to drop a blue orb beside them every time it's off CD, or eat 3 pre-prepared for melee.
2) Strength AOE Buff whilst fun at first to run in and out without being hit, gets old fast. Besides end-game the Priest's equivalent is better.
3) Teleport Jaunt is soooo buggy that more than 60% of the time that I use it, it sends me forward then back for EVERYONE to see, laugh at and end up hitting me as a result. No issues with Fiery Escape.

1) You should tell your DPS that picking up red orbs don't stack the HoT. It used to be that the orb was a straight heal, so people abused this in PvP, and has since been changed to a HoT to fix this burst healing (it was really OP). On the other hand, at least your DPS is picking them up.

2) Priest version is better. You can glyph it for end game use for 5m extra range which helps. (I still haven't gotten it before my sub expired). But overall priest version is significantly superior.

3) I've had issues where it doesn't teleport me. It happens more in KTera than NATera. It's a network/lag issue, so it's very difficult to solve. But Teleport Jaunt moves 15m, which is way bigger than the 7m the fiery escape, or backstep (which isn't in the NA version). But if that bug annoys you, you can rely on the priest better.

4) As Karyudo pointed out, you're missing out on fear and stun. AoE 3s stun (4s glyphed) on 30s CD? 10s fear on 3m CD? As a priest, you are one of two classes that can't avoid a lock-on. Archers have a backstep/dodge on a 20s CD/15s glyphed (The backstep doesn't work). I'm not sorcs have invincibility frames on their dodge. If a mystic can sleep/fear/stun you, you'll be out for quite a bit. And before mystics were nerfed, the stun was on a 15s CD.

As a mystic, I'm not sure teleport jaunt allows you to dodge lock-ons. I guess it's something to test for next beta.

Also, I think mystics prefer crit resist aura over mana aura in PvP.

Priests at 60 do have more mobility in heals though, since their new targeted semi-aoe heal can be cast on the move, where mystics always have to stand in place whenever they need to cast any sort of heal.
Windwalk is offline   Reply With Quote

These purchases support KoS